The trial of miles; miles of trials.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

As I was waiting out one storm and preparing to squeeze in a ride this afternoon I came across this image which immediately took me back nearly
getting after it 1997 style...I was 21
fifteen years.

It was a beautiful, crisp, October day and I had blown off my Friday classes to chase the local mountain bike trails with my roommate Marty.  As we were gearing up at our apartment (312, #2) the phone rang.  On the other end was my former roommate, Martin and he had a favor to ask.  Ferris' photographer was looking for some outdoor action shots that would be used in future student life publications.  We were happy to help so we dragged this photographer to some of our most favorite trails in Big Rapids as he attempted to capture the action.  I believe he took over a hundred pictures that day as Marty and I pounded the singletrack.  We would speed down a hill, pass through his frame and then turn around and do it all over again.  I remember him being really into it.  In this shot we had found a small natural jump in the woods right behind the public swimming pool on the North end of town.  We made pass after pass until he got the shot he wanted. I'm not sure exactly how he captured this one but I don't believe he did much, if any, post-processing of the image.  Of all the photos he took he said this was THE ONE he was looking for.  I just so happened to be the lucky subject, although you can't really tell by looking at the image.  I remember exactly how I felt that day, what I was wearing, who I was with and the size of the smile on my face when it was all over.  When I look at this photo it brings back wonderfully vivid memories of a time in my life that I feel so fortunate to have experienced.  This photo did surface on future FSU promotional publications...every time I get a copy of Crimson and Gold, I have to look closely just in case they decided to crack open the archives and print it again.   

Seeing this photo was like a shot of adreline in the heart.  The skys cleared and I was off.  I wish I would have had more time but its a good thing I didn't because just as I was getting back another wave of dark clouds and rain had moved in.

No comments:

Post a Comment