The trial of miles; miles of trials.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

It's 4:30 AM and my alarm breaks my concentration...

It's time to get up, but I'm already awake. I lay motionless in my bed. A cool breeze drifts across my face. A frog croaks in the pond. I wiggle the toes on my right foot and they move. I swing my legs over the edge of the bed and try to lift my right foot, just as I have for the past month. The outside of my foot and my toes lift slightly, but my big toe stubbornly points towards the floor. Just to be sure, I wiggle my toes and lift my left foot with no problems. I'm over the initial shock and frustration; this is just my daily routine. But today is a different day, a new dawn. Today I will try to run for the first time since my injury and I will return to work.

Yesterday I was seen by Dr. Heilman and released with no restrictions. He told me to be smart about what I do each day and to listen to my body. Also, the sooner I can get back to being myself the better off I will be. Doc has given me a 12-18 month window in which I may or not see improvement in my foot function. After 18 months my function will pretty much be what it is at that time and will not improve thereafter. He said the harder I work to rehab my foot and the faster I do it, the better off I will be. I'm starting PT tomorrow and am feeling very determined to take my shot at beating this annoying obstacle.

"In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins- not through strength but by perseverance."

~H. Jackson Brown~

I slipped out of the basement and into the shadows of a still, beautiful June morning. If nothing else, my spirits were lifted just being out and getting after it in the pre-dawn twilight. My plan was to alternate walking and running and hopefully be able to run a few tenths twice per mile. Well, I pulled it off. It wasn't easy and my stride was choppy and slow but I met my goal for the day. It felt really good to be back out there, that's for sure. I've been walking a lot lately, about 3-6 miles a day. I've even been walking along the top of the curb 800' at a time in an effort to strengthen my right side. My leg felt strong and I'm hopeful that better control of my foot will come with time.

All this has been made possible with the well wishes from my friends and family which have been instrumental in keeping my spirits up. Thanks to all of you for helping me through this.

5 comments:

  1. 18 months is a long time. I think you are going to crush this obstacle down way before that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, keep it up, I know you can put in the effort required to get through this. I'm sure it would take a lot of people out of the game, but not you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome. You keep at it when lesser men would quit, then you write it all down in an almost poetic manner. When I'm running and feel a pain, I'm gonna think "What Would Remus Do?" and keep on a goin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work buddy! Good to have you back. You will make that nerve pay for what it has done to you. Maybe later this summer you can all thank us by running a half-marathon. After finishing, I want you to yell (in your best Darryl Trailerpark voice).....LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!!! Then punch the innocent bystander next to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man you are stubborn! But in a good way. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete