The trial of miles; miles of trials.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Short UP rides

I think Mother Nature got the memo late or something, because on Friday AM there was a nice covering of sloppy snow in the Northern Lower and Eastern UP.  This is the weather I would have expected for a race called Iceman. 

Either way I was able to get in a couple of short rides over the weekend.  One in complete darkness with a really insane wind coming off Whitefish Bay and the other under warm sunny skies.  No complaints. 

The night ride was a little nerve wracking as I spun through Andrus Lake campground because my in-laws swear up and down that they saw a large cat over that way a few weeks ago.  I've been through it with them a half dozen times and they say it was definitely a cat and much larger than a bobcat (nearly twice the size).  It could have been an lynx, however that would be very rare.  If so, I understand lynx are very docile in the wild.  My bigger fear is that it was a cougar but their sighting is 100% unsubstantiated.  Cougars have been know to stalk and kill humans in the American West.  I don't need that. 

large boat passing Whitefish Point proper
On Saturday I decided to do a little tour of St. Ignace.  I've always though it looked like a nice little town and I wanted to get a closer look at the boat docks, Mackinac Bridge and some of the side streets.  The weather was spot on for November. 


look out moose

1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of some mountain biking I did up there last July on 75 and Mackinac Trail road just North of St. Ignace, when I drove Jack's jeep to the bottom of the tank.

    ReplyDelete