The trial of miles; miles of trials.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Satruday SS Ride

 As always I had a hard time sleeping at the in-laws cabin.  As soon as I walked in the door my airway tightened up and I felt short of breath.  I'm not completely sure what the problem was.  At any rate, I felt like I got about an hour of sleep so when the East sky started to lighten I was happy to get out for a ride.  As it turned out my left eye was partially swollen shut.

What was up with my eye?
There was a warm, humid breeze coming off the lake and it wasn't mixing well with the cool air that had crept from Whitefish Point's bottom lands.  At one point, as I emerged from a sandy trail (North Shore Road) my entire bike frame condensed right before my eyes.  I've ridden bikes for a long time and I'd never seen anything like it. 

I made a trip up to the North side of the point and had to cross some private property to steal a glimpse of the lake shore.  The big lake was completely flat, which seems rare to me.  The last time I saw this beach it was covered in several feet of ice.

I would have continued on North Shore Road towards the cranberry bogs, but it was extremely sandy and pretty difficult to navigate on a bike.  Once I got back out on the main road it was an easy jaunt to Andrus Lake, where I cruised the campground.  I'm really happy that I converted my mountain bike into a single speed, its a lot of fun to ride and reminds me of being a kid again.




Raw and rugged beauty!



















No comments:

Post a Comment